Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Pay It Forward Mentality

Like most of my peers, I’m terrified of graduating. As students, we have this pessimistic notion that we’ll never find jobs after graduation, and to curb these fears we take on as much as we can to enhance our resumes and build portfolios. But as we go from our internships to classes to PRSSA meetings to the library, I think we lose sight of the best way to get through the doors of corporate America—developing relationships with those already in the field.

Chuck Hester’s recent post presents the ten steps to the Pay-It-Forward philosophy, which encourages students and professionals to help others, not themselves. I am a huge proponent of this philosophy, especially among students.

PR students are bright. We’re intelligent, ambitious, and determined—we set goals, and we will do anything to achieve them. Unfortunately, because we are all struggling to set ourselves apart, we lose sight of how to really get ahead in the profession.

It’s actually pretty simple: network and make connections, but do it for the right reasons.

Hester encourages us to enter business relationships “without an agenda.” I thought this was common sense, but I realized I was wrong when I attended the 2007 PRSSA National Conference in Philadelphia two weeks ago. Every workshop featured countless students standing up and repeating the same monotonous statement: Hi, my name is _______ from the University of _________. I’ve had seven internships and have an extensive portfolio. Even though I love my current internship, I am really interested in your field. How does your company hire people?

How do interactions like these benefit anyone, especially in a workshop with hundreds of other students equally as interested in the speaker’s line of work? The workshops would have been much more beneficial if students asked specific questions about the industry, or tried to find out more about the actual subject matter rather than trying to get an interview.

After leaving Philadelphia, members of my PRSSA chapter talked about how the conference swarmed with self-promoting students who were focused on finding their future jobs, not learning about public relations. I walked out of many workshops feeling disgruntled, not enlightened. I wanted to know the ins and outs of PR in the sports industry, or how to develop a creative political campaign using YouTube—not how many internships the person next to me had.

Yes, self-promotion is important in an industry as competitive as PR, but it should be done subtly. Like Hester said, the best connections are made when they are mutually beneficial. Show interest in an organization and strive to give something back to that group. This will bring more attention to you than listing off your resume as soon as you meet someone. Not all connections bring about immediate results, but a positive relationship has been started. You never know where that relationship will lead you.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Meg,

I caught your post in my Google News alert, so please excuse the stealth read and reply.

I agree with your statement about relationships and share your members' sentiments about self-promotion. Nothing irks me more than someone who stands to ask a question, but actually delivers their own 30 second pitch. They'll usually then ask something irrelevant just to fulfill their purpose for standing up in the first place.

These people--whether students, professionals, academics, etc.--essentially alienate the room and defeat whatever goal they thought they'd accomplish.

Let your ideas speak for themselves, people! An intelligent, thought-provoking question will attract a future employer much more than your audacity to tell a room full of hundreds about your internship with the girl scouts.

Regardless of these unfortunate experiences, I hope you still enjoyed Conference in Philadelphia. The combination of professional development, networking and fun hasn't worn off yet in my time with PRSSA.

Thanks for attending Conference, and for your insights on this blog.

Best,

Kevin Saghy
PRSSA Immediate Past President

Meg Roberts said...

Kevin,

Thank you for your comment! I'm glad you share in my sentiment about self-promotion among students in our field.

Despite these incidents, I did take a lot from the conference, especially in the relationship building aspect. Conferences like this past one are essential in developing our own personal network, and I always look forward to them.

Meg

Anonymous said...

Incredibly insightful comments, Meg, which I have to expect from you. Great blog!

Keep up the great work,
Professor Batchelor

tory with a T said...

Hi, my name is Tory Lynne from the University of South Florida. I've had two internships and a year of professional work experience. Will you be my friend?

=)

P.S. It's good to know your as terrified about moving to New York as I am.